Battery Life

The Presto Sound Library provides a Service so that any application can change the speed and pitch of MP3s/Oggs, provided the developer of that application has modified it to use Presto and the end user has Presto installed. It is currently in open beta.

Moderator: aocate

Battery Life

Postby greno » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:50 pm

I've been using Presto for a while now, and it has been very reliable on my Droid Incredible with Beyond Pod. I use it all the time, but my only complaint is the huge amount of battery it uses. If I look at my battery usage, the only app that ever shows up in the list is Presto, using somewhere around 8% which is quite a lot.

Are there any plans to reduce the battery usage?

Thanks,
-Gregg
greno

Re: Battery Life

Postby aocate » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:39 pm

No, because it's impossible. Decoding audio means using the CPU. Changing the speed of audio means using the CPU. Both decoding and changing the speed are necessary to change the speed of an encoded file. Using the CPU means using power. Using power, when disconnected from the electric grid, means using battery. This allows one of two options: Use battery or don't support changing the speed of encoded files.
aocate

Postby greno » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:03 pm

Sure, I understand it's impossible to not increase CPU usage. Even with the extra battery usage, its still worth using. I was just hoping it might be made a little more efficient.
-Gregg
greno

Postby seroy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:40 am

I have a simple idea for improvement, presto sound library uses cpu even if speed is 1.0, but in this case changing the speed actualy no need. Looks like it is easy to improve, may be you fix it.
seroy

Return to Presto Sound Library